TEMPORARY RESIDENT SURPLUS LINES AGENT
TYPE AND CLASSES
T01-20 Resident Temporary Surplus Lines
A “TEMPORARY RESIDENT SURPLUS
LINES AGENT” as a licensed surplus lines agent’s employee, family
member, business associate, or personal representative for the
purpose of continuing or winding up the business affairs of the
surplus lines agent or agency. Applicant may only replace a surplus
lines agent that has died or become unable to perform his or her
duties as agent because of military service or illness
or other physical or mental disability. There must not
be any other person connected with the surplus lines agent’s
business who is licensed as a surplus lines agent.
STEPS TO OBTAIN T01-20 TEMPORARY RESIDENT SURPLUS LINES LICENSE:
Step 1 - You must:
- Be a natural person at least 18 years of age.
- Be a resident of the state of Florida.
- Be a United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a work authorization from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services. [Click here for more information]
- Not hold a resident license in another state.
- Be licensed as a Florida resident general lines insurance agent (2-20) and appointed with an authorized insurer.
Step 2 - Apply:
- Answer all of the questions and pay the fees to complete the online application.
[Click here to review fees]
[Click here to apply]
[Fingerprinting fees are not included and must be paid directly to vendor]
Step 3 - Fingerprints:
Step 4 - Status notification(s):
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check your MyProfile account for the status of your application. Deficiencies will be listed under the pending license type.
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your approval by email. You may then go to your MyProfile account and click the “Wallet” and/or “Letter” hyperlink(s), under the “Print Licenses” section, to generate a copy of your license for printing.
- The temporary license is valid for four (4) months and cannot be renewed.
- Surplus lines agents must appoint themselves after getting licensed. To do this:
- Log in to your MyProfile account.
- Select the "Access eAppoint" link on the right.
- If you have never used eAppoint, you must first register and will need to select "Register to become an appointing entity".
- Once you have completed step #2 or #3 above, you will be able to select "New Appointment" in the eAppoint Workbench. Once "New Appointment" has been selected, follow the on screen instructions and pay the $150 appointment fee to complete your self-appointment. Note: This appointment will need to be renewed during your birth month 2 years after the initial appointment effective date, and every 24 months after, to maintain this license.
- FSLSO MEMBERSHIP:
Any individual, licensed as a surplus lines agent under s. 626.927 and 626.9272, Florida Statutes, shall be deemed a member of the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO), a not-for-profit, self-regulating association. Upon receiving your Florida Surplus Lines Agent License, you will need to complete a New Agent Membership form by visiting: https://slip.fslso.com and selecting "Register".
More information can be found by clicking here.
- Third party access must be authorized by the licensee through MyProfile in order for the third party to manage the licensing submissions and changes on behalf of the licensee. NOTE: Third party access will not permit the third party to receive criminal history information through deficiency requests or otherwise, unless provided by the applicant in writing.
- Related Florida Statutes: 626.015, 626.927, 626.901-626.939