jump to main menu jump to subject menu jump to content jump to footer
Get Insurance Help Header

Before You Request to Mediate Your Claim Dispute

Incomplete submissions will cause delays. Before you submit your concern, review all four sections below and follow the steps to properly submit your Mediation request.


Please give the insurance company an opportunity to resolve your issue(s).

A claim determination (including an offer to pay) from the insurance company is required before a claim dispute is eligible to be mediated.

If you are unable to resolve your claim dispute with the insurance company after a claim determination has been made, move to Step 2.


Claim Disputes That Can Be Mediated

Claim Disputes That Can't Be Mediated

The Division can assist with mediating claims that involve:

  • Cause of Loss Disputes

    • Claim Denial

  • Unsatisfactory Settlement Offer Disputes, including:

    • Scope of Damages

    • Scope of Repairs

The Division is unable to assist with mediating Residential and Commercial Residential policies that involve:

  • Claims arising from a commercial lines policy

  • Claims arising from a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) policy

  • Claims that involve liability coverages

  • Claims currently in litigation or appraisal

  • Claims that an insurance company suspects involves fraud

  • Claims that arise from a cause of loss not covered in the policy

The Division is unable to assist with mediating Automobile policies that involve:

  • Personal injury claims over $10,000

The Division is unable to assist with mediating Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) policies that involve:

  • Increases in monthly maintenance fees

If your concern can’t be mediated or involves the below insurance topics, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for your appropriate insurance topic.

  • Coverage Issues
  • Claim Disputes
  • Premium Issues
  • Policy Cancellations or Non-Renewals
  • Refunds
  • Sales Misrepresentations

What Mediation Will Do

What Mediation Will Not Do

  • Provide a (21-day) resolution period before assigning a Mediator.
  • Arrange the services of Florida Supreme Court certified circuit court Mediator or Sinkhole Neutral Evaluator (engineer or geologist) to assist in resolving your claim.
  • Offer an informal setting (conference) to assist in resolving your claim.
  • Provide you with legal advice.
  • Determine a question of fact.
  • Determine the value of a claim, the amount owed to you or act as your representative.
  • Tell a company to pay a claim.

To help ensure that we receive all necessary information to proceed with your submission, please provide us with the following:

  • Your mailing address, if different from the Insured property address

  • The exact name of the insurance company

  • Your policy number

  • Your claim number

  • A detailed description of your concern

  • Name and contact information for any Assignment of Benefit (AOB) who may be involved

  • Supporting documentation for any Assignment of Benefit (AOB) who may be involved

    • Assignment of Benefit (AOB) Contract

  • Name and contact information for any legal representative who may be involved

  • Supporting documentation for any legal representative who may be involved

    • Attorney Letter of Representation

    • Public Adjuster Contract

    • Power of Attorney (POA)

    • Trust Documents

Public Record Notice: Under Section 119.011(12) Florida Statutes, Public Records are all documents, papers, letters, maps, books, tapes, audio and video tapes, photographs, films, sound recordings, data processing software, or other material regardless of physical form, characteristics, or means of transmission, made or received pursuant to law or ordinance or in connection with the transaction of official business by the Department, which are used to perpetuate, communicate or formalize knowledge. https://myfloridacfo.com/publicrecords

Once you've gathered the required materials and documents, you're ready to submit your request to mediate. Select "Submit a Request for Mediation".


Online EService Icon


Submit a Request for Mediation for any of the five programs administered by the Division.

  • Automobile Mediation
  • Residential Property Mediation
  • Commercial Residential Property Mediation
  • Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC) Mediation
  • Sinkhole Neutral Evaluation

Next Steps

Upon receipt of an eligible request for mediation, the Department will notify the parties they have 21 (calendar) days to otherwise resolve the dispute before a mediator is assigned.

Once mediator has been assigned, the mediation conference is to occur within 21 days.

When applicable, good cause continuances can be requested by the parties.

You may settle the claim with the insurance company prior to mediation.