jump to main menu jump to subject menu jump to content jump to footer

Division Director

Tanner Holloman

Assistant Director

Andrew Sabolic

Workers' Compensation
200 East Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0318
Workers' Compensation Claims
(800) 342-1741
Workers' Compensation Exemption/ Compliance
(850) 413-1609

Division of Workers' Compensation

"Hurt At Work?" Brochure

Hurt at Work Brochure


What Is Workers' Compensation?

What Should I Do?

What Should My Employer Do?

What If I Still Have Questions?


A cooperative effort
of the State of Florida
Division of Workers' Compensation
Employer and Employee Customer Councils
Revised May 1998

What Is Workers' Compensation?

A State Required Program to Provide:

  • Medical care
  • Part of your lost pay

...to an employee injured as a result of a work-related activity.

  • All benefits are set by Florida Law.
  • Workers' Compensation is provided at no cost to you.

Hurt at Work Brochure

Q: Do I have to pay any of my medical costs?
A: No. But if you were injured on or after 1/1/94, you must pay $10 per visit for treatment after your doctor releases you and you have reached maximum medical improvement (MMI).

Q: What kind of medical treatment can I get?
A: Medically necessary visits to an authorized health care provider (chiropractic visits may be limited), surgery, hospital care, dental, prescription medications, braces and crutches, mileage to and from the doctor, and any other medical supplies ordered by your authorized physician.

What Should I Do?

  • As soon as you can, you must tell your supervisor (employer) you have been injured at work.
  • Go to a medical provider authorized by your employer.
  • Give your doctor as many details about your accident as possible.
  • Follow your doctor's instructions.
  • Ask your doctor when you may return to work.
  • Let your employer know how you are doing.
  • Under certain circumstances, you may be required to take a drug test.

Q: Can I choose my own doctor or change doctors?
A: You can choose a doctor from the list of physicians provided by your employer's managed care arrangement or insurance carrier. If you go to a doctor other than one that is authorized, you may have to pay your own medical bills.

Q: If my injury makes me lose time from work, will I be paid for the pay I lose?
A: You will not be paid for the first seven days you lose from work unless your injury is serious enough that you lose more than 21 days from work.

What Should My Employer Do?

  • Your employer is required to provide you the medical care needed to treat your injury or condition, so you can return to work.
  • Complete an accident report.
  • If you cannot work for more than seven days, due to your injury or condition, you will receive a portion of your normal pay according to a state determined schedule.
  • These benefits may be paid by your employer or your employer's insurance carrier.

Q: When will I get my first check?
A: The earliest you can expect your check is within three weeks of your injury. This can only happen if you report your injury to your employer immediately.

Q: How much will my benefit check be?
A: In most cases, your weekly pay will be 66 2/3 percent of your average weekly wage, subject to a state maximum.

Q: Can my employer fire me if I file for workers' compensation benefits?
A: By law, you cannot be fired for filing or attempting to file a workers' compensation claim.

Q: Will my employer keep my job for me?
A: Not necessarily. You and your employer need to work together to get you back to work as soon as you are able.

Q: If I am unable to return to the type of work I did before I was injured, what can I do?
A: You may be able to get help finding another job or being retrained. Call the Department of Education, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation at (850) 245-3470 for information.


Your right to receive benefits and medical care may end if there has been no payment for lost pay or necessary medical care provided for a one year period.

This publication is being offered as an informational tool only, with the understanding that this is not official language of the Florida Statutes. In no event will the State of Florida, Division of Workers' Compensation be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential damages resulting from the use of this printed material.

What If I Still Have Questions?

Always contact your employer first. If you still have questions about workers' compensation, you may call toll free:

The State of Florida
Employee Assistance Office

The State of Florida Employee Assistance Office can assist you in:

  • Understanding the Workers' Compensation System.
  • Learning about your benefits.
  • Communicating with the right people (your employer, Workers' Compensation Insurance Carriers, Doctors, etc).
  • If your employer does not have coverage, call the Bureau of Compliance at 1-800-742-2214.

"Any person who, knowingly and with intent to injure, defraud, or deceive any employer or employee, insurance company, or self-insured program, files a statement of claim containing any false or misleading information commits a felony of the third degree."