Division Director

Toma Wilkerson

Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation
325 John Knox Road
Atrium Building, Suite 101
Tallahassee, FL 32303

Frequently Asked Questions
Florida Specialty Insurance Company

Is my insurance policy still in force?

No.  All insurance policies issued by FSIC were cancelled as of November 1, 2019, as stated in the Amended Liquidation Order.

How will I get my unearned premium refund?

​The Florida Insurance Guaranty Association ("FIGA") has been activated to help pay unearned premium refunds for FSIC policyholders.


If you elected coverage with Citizens Property Insurance Corporation ("Citizens") using the quick quote process, any unearned premium due back from FSIC, minus a $100 statutory deductible, will be sent to Citizens and applied to your new coverage amount.  You can contact Citizens at (866) 411-2742 or https://www.citizensfla.com/floridaspecialty.


If you did not elect coverage with Citizens, you will receive a check for any unearned premium, minus a $100 statutory deductible, owed to you after your policy has been cancelled.

How can I get more information about my unearned premium?

​Unearned premium refunds for cancellations prior to 11/1/2019, were mailed on 11/8/19.  The Department is currently calculating unearned premium amounts for cancellation of policies that occurred on 11/1/2019.


You can call 1-888-723-3055 for additional questions on unearned premium.

If premium was paid directly from my mortgage company to Florida Specialty, will the refund be returned to the mortgage company?

​Premium refunds will be sent directly to policyholders.

If I have already filed a property and casualty claim with FSIC, will the liquidation affect the status of my claim?

No. The Florida Insurance Guaranty Association ("FIGA") has been activated to help pay outstanding claims for FSIC policies.  Processing and payment of pending covered claims has been taken over by FIGA. You can contact FIGA at (800) 988-1450 or https://figafacts.com/.

How do I report a new property and casualty claim?

​New FSIC claims should be reported to the Florida Guaranty Association: you should contact FIGA at:

Florida Insurance Guaranty Association
P O Box 14249
Tallahassee, Florida 32317
1-800-988-1450 (toll-free)
Fax 1-850-523-1888



FIGA will process claims relating to damage to your property which are covered under your homeowners policies.  Claims are subject to a $100 statutory deductible.

If I have a pending refund related to a rate rollback, how will I get my refund?

​Any pending refunds related to a rate rollback that resulted in an overpayment will be included in the unearned premium refund payment.

What if my gross refund is less than $100?

​If your gross unearned premium refund is less than $100 you will not initially receive a refund check. If the Receiver subsequently determines that adequate funds are available, it will process and pay the refunds that are less than $100.  

I filed a lawsuit against FSIC prior to their entry into liquidation. Why can't the lawsuit progress?

​Pursuant to the Amended Liquidation Order and to Section 631.041(1), Florida Statutes, there is an automatic stay in place prohibiting judicial and administrative proceedings against the company.

What is the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association?

​The Florida Insurance Guaranty Association ("FIGA") is a nonprofit corporation statutorily created to provide a mechanism for the payment of claims when an insurance company is ordered liquidated.

Does FIGA have limits on the covered claims they process and pay?

​The processing and payment of covered claims will be made by FIGA (subject to the lesser of policy limits or FIGA's maximum cap). The maximum amount FIGA will cover is $300,000 with special limits applying to (1) damages to structure and contents on homeowners claims and (2) condominium and homeowners association claims. For damages to structure and contents on homeowners claims the FIGA cap is an additional $200,000. No claim will be paid in excess of this cap. All claims are subject to a $100 statutory deductible over and above any deductible identified in your policy. You may file a claim in the estate of the insurance company for the $100 deductible and for amounts over the cap. Some claims are covered by the guaranty association and some claims can only be filed against the estate of FSIC because they are not covered by the guaranty association.

What is a covered claim?

A covered claim is defined by Section 631.54, Florida Statutes, and means "an unpaid claim, including one of unearned premium, which arises out of, and is within the coverage, and is not in excess of the applicable limits of an insurance policy..." ​

How do I file a claim with the Florida Specialty estate?

​The Department will update the FAQs with instructions for filing a claim soon.  Please check back frequently.

How do I obtain a Proof of Claim form?

​The Department will mail proof of claim forms to all known possible claimants in the near future.  An option for requesting a proof of claim form will be posted here soon.

Do I need to submit a proof of claim form to the Department in order to have the guaranty association make payments on my pending FSIC claim?

​No. The guaranty association has access to the company claim files and will review your claim to determine if it is a covered claim on which payments may be due. If you are not certain that your claim is covered by the guaranty association and/or you wish to make a claim directly against the FSIC receivership estate, you must submit a Proof of Claim form to the Department. The Department has not yet begun the proof of claim filing process. Once the proof of claim process begins, information will be posted to the Department's website on how you can obtain a proof of claim form.

When is the deadline for filing a claim in the receivership?

​The deadline for filing claims in the Florida Specialty receivership October 2, 2020.

How are claims paid in a receivership?

​The payment of claims in a receivership are paid in priority order as defined by Florida Statutes, Chapter 631. The only assets available for distribution are the assets of the company.

Will my commissions (Agents) or General Creditor claims be paid by the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association ("FIGA")?

​No. Agent's commission claims and general creditor claims are not covered by FIGA, but may be filed as claims in the receivership estate. There may not be sufficient assets to pay this priority of claims; however, you must file a Proof of Claim form to have your claim considered.

Who do I call for non-claims related questions?

​If you have any non-claims related questions regarding the receivership, please contact the Department at Consumer.Services@myfloridacfo.com or by calling (850) 413-3081 or toll free at 1-800-882-3054.

How do I contact the Florida Department of Financial Services which is the court-appointed Receiver of Florida Specialty?

​You may contact the Department by using the "Contact Us" form within the Receiver's website at www.floridainsurancereceiver.org or by calling 1-850-413-3081 (toll free at 1-800-882-3054 for Florida residents).

I have recently changed my name or mailing address and need to update the company’s records to make sure I receive any information mailed to me. What do I do?

​It is your responsibility to notify the Receiver, in writing, if you change your name or mailing address. You can download the appropriate form and instructions from the Receiver's website, www.floridainsurancereceiver.org. Whenever you are corresponding with the Receiver, be sure to reference your policy number and/or claim number which will allow the Receiver to associate your request with the correct receivership.