- Things to know about your continuing education
How to Satisfy the Five-Hour Law & Ethics Continuing Education Requirement
As a licensed Florida insurance professional you MUST take a five-hour Law & Ethics course specifically approved for one of the active licenses you hold to satisfy your five-hour CE requirement. The content of each five-hour course is tailored specifically to each license type. The chart provided here and on the Education webpage shows you the appropriate course authority for each license type.
Once you know the appropriate authority, you can search the Education Database for approved courses.
Education Database search tips
The following tips will help you locate the appropriate courses within the Education Database:
- Select the appropriate radio button for either CE or Prelicensing.
- Select the appropriate course authority for the type of course you need. If you are searching for a five-hour course, make sure you select the appropriate five-hour course authority (ex: a 2-20 licensee should select the 5-220 course authority).
- To refine your search select the study method that you prefer under "Matching" (ex: if you are looking for only online courses, select the "Self-Study Online" option).
- The search results will display course authorities other than the one that you specifically selected. To find only the courses approved for the specific authority you are looking for use the Find command by pressing “Ctrl” and “F” keys simultaneously. You will see a "Find" field appear at the top of your screen. Enter the course authority in the Find field and hit "‘Enter". This will highlight ONLY the specific text that you entered in the "Find" field. Click "Next" until you find the right course for you.
Take a few extra minutes to research the courses that you are taking and make sure they will satisfy ALL of your requirements. Don’t place the fate of your career in the hands of someone else. Take it upon yourself to protect your livelihood.
Web page link: http://www.myfloridacfo.com/Division/Agents/Licensure/Education/CEReq.htm
Education Database link: https://dice.fldfs.com/public/pb_srch_adv.asp
Are You Compliant with Your CE or
To be CE compliant requires more than
just taking CE courses. Below are a few suggestions for
remaining CE compliant:
- CE requirements change. You should regularly review your CE status through
your MyProfile account. Your total hours have specific allocation
requirements that must be met. Be sure to take all the right categories of CE
- Check for late hours. Hours taken after your due date will still post on
your compliance evaluation screen, but they will be noted as "Late". Though your
hours requirement may have been met, late completion of your continuing
education requirement will result in penalties.
- Check prior evaluation periods. Always check previous compliance periods to
make sure you are not delinquent for a prior period. Be sure to click on VIEW ENFORCEMENT NOTICE just below the Not
Compliant text to check for any outstanding fines.
- Check your transcript. The same course cannot be taken with
the same provider within a three-year period and receive
credit. This is noted on your transcript as a duplicate course. You will need to
take a different course to meet your CE requirement.
We wish you success in completing your hours to remain knowledgeable in an
ever-changing insurance market. And remember, your CE compliance date is your DUE date, not
your DO date.
How to Search for Approved CE Courses
Looking for continuing education (CE) courses to be sure you get all your
hours completed? Our online course search can easily help you by listing
those courses approved by the Department.
- Go to our website at www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Division/Agents.
- Click on MyProfile on the left panel
and log in to your account.
- Once in your MyProfile inbox, click on Locate at the top left. Then click on Future Course Offerings.
- Select the Course Authority for the
type of license held or course you need to take.
- You can also make other choices, like Study Method and Location, to narrow your search
- If you click on Perform an Advanced Search, you will have
additional options to narrow your search results, such as Course
Date and Course Level.
Because many factors may affect your continuing education requirement (e.g.
licenses held, number of years licensed, etc.), we encourage you to periodically
check your MyProfile account to determine your individual continuing
education compliance requirements and status. You will also be able to find more
approved CE courses after logging in to your MyProfile account versus the public
search option, which limits the results to the first 100 course offerings.