CFO Jeff Atwater Joins Florida Marlins, Federal Alliance for Safe Homes on the Ball Field to Promote “Protect Your Home Base”
Contact: Alexis Lambert
MIAMI—Florida’s Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater joined the Florida Marlins and Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH) on the field today to announce the “Protect Your Home Base” initiative, encouraging Floridians to prepare and protect their homes and families before the beginning of hurricane season on June 1. This signature event is one of several highlighted in FLASH’s 2011 Great Hurricane Blowout preparedness campaign to raise awareness about strengthening homes and safeguarding families. The event took place at the Sun Life Stadium before the start of the Florida Marlins vs. Tampa Bay Rays baseball game.
“Floridians know all too well the disastrous impact a hurricane or tropical storm can have on their homes and families,” said CFO Atwater. “Major League Baseball and hurricane safety have a lot in common. To be successful at either you have to prepare, plan and most importantly, execute the plan. Doing so will help you protect your home base this hurricane season.”
“We have learned that combining fun with useful information is the best way to promote disaster safety,” said FLASH President/CEO Leslie Chapman-Henderson. “Joining CFO Atwater and the Marlins in “Protect Your Home Base” is a home run for Floridians who will leave the stadium today with a new and fun way to get ready for hurricane season.”
“We are extremely pleased to team up with CFO Atwater and FLASH in this great initiative as hurricane season approaches,” said Marlins SVP of Communications and Broadcasting, P.J. Loyello. “Educating our fans on the importance of preparedness and safeguarding families is important for our entire community, and there’s no better place to do so than at a ballgame between our two Florida Major League teams.”
CFO Atwater threw out the first pitch of the game and met with players and fans to educate them on the importance of disaster preparedness. Representatives from FLASH were also on hand to distribute flyers directing fans to the Great Hurricane Blowout website (www.greathurricaneblowout.org
) for a chance to win a lightning protection system, gift cards to The Home Depot, a Kohler whole home generator including installation from the Home Depot and much more.
Disaster Preparedness Week begins on Sunday, May 22, and CFO Atwater is encouraging Floridians to use this week to prepare before the start of the 2011 Hurricane Season on June 1.
CFO Atwater recommends Floridians take the following actions to protect their home base this hurricane season:
· Develop a Disaster Plan and ensure that all members of your family are familiar with the plan.
· Have the name of your insurance company and telephone number when you evacuate.
· Keep a copy of your important insurance and financial records in an offsite secure location such as a safe deposit box or a fire and waterproof container.
· If a disaster threatens, board up windows and secure outside items inside your home. If you must evacuate, make sure your home is locked.
· Keep all receipts for purchases you make to complete emergency repairs so you can be reimbursed by your insurance company.
· Keep a record of damaged property and keep it available for inspection by the adjuster.
· Take photos of or video the damage before the emergency repairs are made.
· Report any damage to your insurance agent and company as soon as possible.
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, a statewide elected official and officer of the Florida Cabinet, oversees the Department of Financial Services including the Division of Insurance Fraud. CFO Atwater’s priorities include fighting financial fraud, abuse and waste in government, reducing government spending and regulatory burdens that chase away businesses, and providing transparency and accountability in spending.