CFO Jeff Atwater Presents Fire Service Awards
Contact: Alexis Lambert
TALLAHASSEE—Florida Chief Financial Officer and State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater this week recognized the Fire Academy of the South, Florida State College in Jacksonville and honored 10 fire and rescue service personnel, including a retiring K-9 for exceptional dedication to fire and rescue services during the past year. CFO Atwater presented each honoree with an individual resolution signed by the Governor and members of the Cabinet at Monday evening’s Fire Service Awards ceremony. The honorees were also recognized jointly at Tuesday’s Cabinet meeting at the Capitol.
“These men and women put their lives at risk every time that they respond to a fire call,” said CFO Atwater. “I am proud today to stand among our state’s firefighters and to honor their incredible service and commitment to their fellow Floridians.”
CFO Atwater presented the following individuals with a Fire Service Award:
• Fire Inspector of the Year—Shar Hingson, Iona McGregor Fire District
• Fire Instructor of the Year—Randy Keirn, Lealman Fire Rescue
• Forestry Firefighter of the Year—Chris Farley, Withlacoochee Forestry Center
• Fire Marshal of the Year—George Emerson, St. Lucie County Fire District
• Professional Firefighter of the Year—Winnie Newton, St. Petersburg Fire and Rescue
• Career Firefighter of the Year—Wes McQueen, Gainesville Fire Rescue
• Fire Chief of the Year—James Angle, Palm Harbor Special Fire Control and Rescue District
• Fire Investigator of the Year—Paul Paterson, Bureau of Fire & Arson Investigations
• Chad Reed Emergency Manager of the Year—John Dosh, Escambia County Department of Emergency Management
• Training Center of the Year—Fire Academy of the South, Florida State College at Jacksonville, accepted by Sheldon Reed, Executive Director
• Retiring—Misty, K-9, Bureau of Fire & Arson Investigations
The Fire Service Awards are coordinated through the State Fire Marshal’s Office annually and are sponsored by the following fire-service related organizations: the Florida Joint Council of Fire & Emergency Services, the Fire Training Director’s Association, the Florida State Firefighters Association, the Fire Chiefs’ Association, the Fire Marshal and Inspectors Association, the Professional Firefighters Association and the Emergency Preparedness Association.
Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater, a statewide elected official and officer of the Florida Cabinet, oversees the Department of Financial Services including the Division of Insurance Fraud. CFO Atwater’s priorities include fighting financial fraud, abuse and waste in government, reducing government spending and regulatory burdens that chase away businesses, and providing transparency and accountability in spending. CFO Atwater also serves as the State Fire Marshal.