CFO Sink Opens Storm Line in Response to Severe Weather in Central Florida
CONTACT: Kevin Cate, 850-413-2842
TALLAHASSEE- Florida CFO Alex Sink activated her Department of Financial Services’ Storm Line, 1-800-22-STORM to assist homeowners and business owners who may have suffered damage as a result of strong winds that struck Thursday in Central Florida. Experts are available from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (EST) Monday through Friday. Property owners can also find general insurance information online at www.MyFloridaCFO.com
CFO Sink offered the following advice to Floridians who may have suffered property or vehicle damage:
· Make emergency repairs to protect from further damage, and document the damage and repairs in writing, with receipts and photos.
· Immediately report property damage to your insurance agent and company.
· Gather copies of your household inventory and other documentation, including photos. This will assist the adjuster in assessing the value of the destroyed property.
· If you must leave your home because of the damage, give your temporary forwarding address and phone number to your insurance agent or insurance company.
· Beware of fly-by-night repair businesses and hire licensed and reputable service people. If considering the assistance of a public insurance adjuster, verify that they are licensed by calling the Storm Line.
· Understand how much a public insurance adjuster is charging and what services are included before signing any contract.
More information regarding disaster-related insurance topics is available on the Department’s Disaster Response page at www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Consumers/Storm
. Consumers looking for tips on the rebuilding process, including storm-resistant construction and materials, should visit www.MySafeFloridaHome.com