CFO Sink Activates DFS Storm Line for Victims of Tropical Storm Claudette
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 17, 2009
CONTACT: Kyra Jennings or Nina Banister, (850) 413-2842
CFO SINK ACTIVATES DFS STORM LINE FOR VICTIMS OF TROPICAL STORM CLAUDETTE
TALLAHASSEE—Florida CFO Alex Sink today announced that the state storm line has been activated to assist Floridians whose homes, businesses or vehicles were damaged by Tropical Storm Claudette as it passed through the Gulf and into the Florida Panhandle. Florida residents who have questions or need help filing a claim can call CFO Sink’s Storm Line at 1-800-22-STORM.
“The first step to recovery is knowing where to find help, and our insurance specialists are available to help storm victims contact insurance companies and file claims,” said CFO Sink. “Our goal is to help residents rebuild as quickly as possible.”
Storm victims who are unfamiliar with the insurance claim process or need help reaching their insurance company can ask questions and get assistance from the CFO Sink’s team of insurance specialists on the Storm Line from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST. General insurance information is also available at www.MyFloridaCFO.com
CFO Sink also offered the following advice to Floridians who have suffered property or vehicle damage:
- Make emergency repairs to protect from further damage, and document the damage and repairs in writing, with receipts and photos.
- Immediately report property damage to your insurance agent and company.
- Gather copies of your household inventory and other documentation, including photos. This will assist the adjuster in assessing the value of the destroyed property.
- If you must leave your home because of the damage, let your agent or insurance company know your temporary forwarding address and phone number.
- Beware of fly-by-night repair businesses. Hire licensed and reputable service people.
- If considering the assistance of a public insurance adjuster, verify that they are licensed by calling the department's storm hotline.
Be sure you understand how much a public insurance adjuster is charging and what services are included before signing any contract.
More information regarding disaster-related insurance topics is available on the Department’s Disaster Response page at www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Consumers/Storm/
or by calling 850-413-3089. Consumers looking for tips on the rebuilding process, including storm-resistant construction and materials, can view CFO Sink’s My Safe Florida Home web site at www.MySafeFloridaHome.com
# # #