TYPE AND CLASS:
1-20 Surplus Lines
Common Use(s) of License:
An individual licensed to handle
placement of insurance coverages with unauthorized insurers and to place such
coverages with authorized insurers as to which the licensee is not licensed as
Related Florida Statutes:
626.015 and 626.927
STEPS TO OBTAIN RESIDENT 1-20 SURPLUS LINES LICENSE:
Step 1 - You must be:
- A natural person at least 18 years of age.
- A resident of the state of Florida.
- A United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a work authorization
from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services. [Click
here for more information]
- Licensed and appointed as a Florida resident general lines insurance agent
(Type & Class 2-20)
- Licensed and appointed as a Florida resident managing general agent
(Type & Class 00-60)
- Licensed and appointed as a Florida resident service representative
(Type & Class 00-55)
Step 2 - Must have the following prerequisite(s) before applying:
Step 3 - Apply:
Step 4 - Send prerequisite(s) to department:
- Send proof of prerequisite, as indicated in Step 2, to the Bureau.
Note: If you have taken a prelicensing course, your
prelicensing education provider will automatically send the Bureau proof within
20 days of your passing date. This does not include designations.
Department of Financial
Bureau of Licensing, Room 419
200 East Gaines
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0319
Step 5 - Fingerprints:
Step 6 - Status notification(s):
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check your MyProfile account for the status of your application. Deficiencies will be listed under
the pending license type.
Step 7 - Examination:
Disregard this step if you are not required to take an exam.
- Upon approval, an email will be sent to you directing you to check your
messages in your MyProfile account. Messages are where you may view your
notifications from the department, such as an authorization for an examination.
Follow the message's instructions to schedule the examination.
[Click here for the Exam Information page]
Step 8 - Print license:
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your
approval by email. You may then go to your MyProfile account and print your license.
Note: If you are required to take an
examination, you will not be able to print your license until the department has
received a passing result from the testing vendor.
Surplus lines agents must appoint themselves after
getting licensed. To do this:
- Log in to your MyProfile account.
- Select the "Access eAppoint" link on the right.
- If you have never used eAppoint, you must first register and will need to
select "Register to become an appointing entity".
- Once you have completed step #2 or #3 above, you will be able to select "New
Appointment" in the eAppoint Workbench. Once "New Appointment" has been
selected, follow the on screen instructions and pay the $150 appointment fee to
complete your self-appointment. Note: This appointment will need to be renewed
during your birth month 2 years after the initial appointment effective date,
and every 24 months after, to maintain this license.
licensed as a surplus lines agent under s. 626.927 and 626.9272, Florida
Statutes, shall be deemed a member of the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO), a not-for-profit, self-regulating association. Upon receiving your
Florida Surplus Lines Agent License, you will need to complete a New Agent Membership
form by visiting: https://slip.fslso.com and selecting "Register".
More information can be found by clicking here.