Information on Navigators and Registering
There is Florida law regarding the registering and regulation of the “Navigator” position created by federal health care reform. The law states:
- Individuals acting as a "navigator" under the PPACA are required to be registered with the Florida Department of Financial Services (DFS).
- To be registered as a navigator, an individual must:
- Be a natural person at least 18 years of age;
- Be United States citizen or legal alien who possesses work authorization
from the United States Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services;
- Submit the application for registration by answering all of the questions and paying the
fees to complete the online application;
- Provide official certification that he or she has successfully completed all required training by the federal government and has been certified by them as a Marketplace Navigator for the 2016 enrollment period. The certificate of completion that states it is "not an official certification
record" is not sufficient. Please provide the official
certificate that has the navigator's unique ID number assigned by HHS and the
organization they are employed;
- Submit fingerprints for a criminal background check, and
- Certain crimes would either permanently bar an individual from registration or disqualify an applicant for specified periods.
- A navigator is prohibited from:
- Soliciting, negotiating, or selling health insurance;
- Recommending the purchase of a particular health plan or represent that one health plan is preferable over any other;
- Recommending or assisting with the cancellation of insurance coverage purchased outside the Exchange;
- Receiving compensation or anything of value from an insurer, health plan, business, or consumer in connection with performing activities as a navigator, other than from the Exchange or an entity or individual who has received a navigator grant under the PPACA.
- Grounds for suspension or revocation of registration and authorizes DFS to impose an administrative fine in lieu of, or in addition to suspension or revocation.
- Any person who acts as a navigator without registration is subject to an administrative penalty not to exceed $1,500.
Navigators are required to adhere to strict security and privacy standards – including how to safeguard a consumer’s personal information. They are required to complete training by the federal government to be certified, will take additional federal training throughout the year, and will renew their federal certification yearly. All types of enrollment assisters – including Certified Application Counselors and agents/brokers – are required to complete specific training and are subject to federal criminal penalties for violations of privacy or fraud statutes, on top of any relevant state law penalties.
Individuals interested in becoming Navigators should contact the entities that are awarded Navigator grants by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for potential employment opportunities. Navigators are not hired directly by the federal government or the Marketplace.
The training curriculum for Navigators is available on the Marketplace website - http://marketplace.cms.gov. Please know that completion of the federal navigator curriculum does not automatically qualify an individual to become a navigator.
Certified Marketplace Application Counselors are not required to be registered as a navigator by the Florida Department of Financial Services (DFS) as they are not regulated by DFS. If you are a certified Marketplace Application Counselor, please do not apply for registration as a Florida navigator.
If you are already registered in Florida as a navigator, you do not
need to re-apply, re-qualify, or re-register with the DFS. Please be sure to
check your registration status via your MyProfile account. You only need to email your Marketplace Navigator certificate for the 2016 enrollment period to the Department.
Health and Human Services Contact Information
If you wish to access information from the Federal Government, such as information regarding the Federally-facilitated Marketplace or Health Insurance Exchange, please go to their website at http://www.healthcare.gov.
FFM Agent/Broker Training
Agent/broker training for the Federally-facilitated Marketplace (FFM) is available online. Agents and brokers may begin their training immediately.
To start taking the training, please visit http://Marketplace.MedicareLearningNetworkLMS.com
In Part II, agents/brokers who wish to serve in the individual market may complete identity proofing on the CMS Enterprise Portal: https://portal.cms.gov
- Returning agents/brokers who previously completed identity proofing or requested the agent/broker role as part of the registration process for a prior plan year do not need to repeat these steps during the annual registration renewal process. Please ensure that you are using the same FFM user ID that you used in prior plan years.
- Prior to completing Part II of the registration process, agents/brokers need to have completed Part I—the training/testing that is available at https://Marketplace.MedicareLearningNetworkLMS.com.
- After completion of Part I, agents/brokers should allow 48 business hours for their training/testing results to be transmitted to the CMS Enterprise Portal where Part II occurs. Please ensure that you allow sufficient time for your training/testing results to reach the CMS Enterprise Portal, or you will get an error message when you try to complete Part II.
- Instructions from CMS webinars may be useful as agents/brokers complete the registration process. Those instructions, and other information, may be found on their webpage: http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/programs-and-initiatives/health-insurance-marketplaces/a-b-resources.html.
- For questions, please contact the FFM Producer and Assister Help Desk at FFMProducer-AssisterHelpDesk@cms.hhs.gov.
Check out the information our Division of Consumer Services has on its website at: http://www.MyFloridaCFO.com/Division/Consumers/HealthReform.htm.
Please click here to view
a current list of registered navigators.