The Florida State Fire College is specifically created by law under Chapter 633.43 of the Florida Statutes which reads
"There is hereby established a state institution to be known as the Florida State Fire College, to be located at or near Ocala, Marion County. The institution shall be operated by the Division of State Fire Marshal of the Department of Financial Services."
The Florida Statutes go on to delineate the purpose of the Florida State Fire College in Chapter 633.44.
"The purposes of ss. 633.43-633.49 and of the Florida State Fire College shall be:
(1) To provide professional and volunteer firemen with needful professional instruction and training at a minimum of cost to them and to their employers.
(2) To develop new methods and practices of firefighting and fire prevention.
(3) To assist the state and county, municipal, and other local governments of this state and their agencies and officers in their investigation and determination of the causes of fires.
(4) To provide testing facilities for the testing of firefighting equipment
(5) To disseminate useful information on fires, firefighting and fire prevention and other related subjects, to fire departments and others interested in such information.
(6) To do such other needful or useful things necessary to the promotion of public safety in the field of fire hazards and fire prevention work.
It is hereby declared by the Legislature that the above purposes are legitimate state functions and are designed to promote public safety."
The Florida State Fire College is one of the two entities comprising the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training. The standards section develops and administers an independent testing and certification program for fire professionals under delegated authority from the State Fire Marshal.
The activities and operational management of the Bureau of Fire Standards and Training (the Florida State Fire College, the Standards section, and the Firefighter Occupational Safety section) are overseen by a Bureau Chief who also holds the statutory title of Superintendent of the Florida State Fire College (Ch. 633.45(I) and Ch. 633.48 F.S.).
The Firefighters Standards and Training Council is an advisory body to the State Fire Marshal and the Florida State Fire College. Created in Ch. 633.31 F.S., the Council makes recommendations on firefighter employment and training standards, uniform curricula, the Bureau's operations, interaction with the statewide fire and education communities, and necessary research studies. The Council members, appointed by the State Fire Marshal, represent fire chiefs, training directors, fire marshals, fire officers, firefighters, and the general citizenry.Return to General Information Page.
[ General Information | Course Information | Campus Information | Fire Standards ]
[ Student Services | Bookstore | Related Links | What's New | Events Calendar ]
[ VolunteerFF1 | Alarm Alert | Firefighter Standards and Training Council ]
[ Firefighter Safety and Health | Forms Box | Kids Page | Disaster Response Information ]
If you have any questions regarding
certifications or examinations, please send e-mail to