TYPE AND CLASS:
4-40 Customer Representative
Common Use(s) of License:
A salaried employee of the general
lines (property and casualty) agent or agency that may transact automobile,
water craft, home, motorcycle, and pet insurance under the supervision of a
licensed and appointed general lines agent.
Related Florida Statutes:
Continuing Education (CE) Requirement:
10 hours due bi-annually by end of licensee's birth month. When the CE requirement has been generated, the requirement can be viewed in licensee's MyProfile account. Section 626.2815, Florida Statutes.
Note: Additional information can be found on our Continuing Education page.
Appointment of License:
This license requires an appointment to be valid. Section 626.112(4), Florida Statutes.
Expiration of License:
This license will expire if unappointed for 48 months. Section 626.431(3), Florida Statutes.
STEPS TO OBTAIN RESIDENT 4-40 CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE LICENSE:
Step 1 - You must be:
- A natural person at least 18 years of age.
- A resident of the state of Florida.
- A United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a work authorization
from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services. [Click
here for more information]
Step 2 - Must have the following prerequisite(s) before applying:
- Within 4 the last 4 years, earned one of the following designations:
[More Designation Information] [Exempt from State Examination]
- Accredited Postsecondary Institution in this State - Registered Customer
Service Representative (RCSR)
- All-Lines Training - Certified Insurance Representative (CIR)
- American Institute for Chartered Property Underwriters - Chartered Property
and Casualty Underwriters (CPCU)
- Insurance Institute of America - Accredited Advisor in Insurance (AAI)
- Insurance Institute of America - Associate in General Insurance (AINS)
- Insurance Institute of America - Accredited Customer Service Representative
- National Foundation for CPSR - Certified Professional Service Representative
- Professional Career Institute - Professional Customer Service Representative
- Society of Certified Insurance Service Counselors - Certified Insurance
- Society of Certified Insurance Service Representatives - Certified Insurance
Service Representative (CISR)
The Certified Customer Service Representative (CCSR) from the Florida Association of Insurance Agents is no longer accepted as of July 1, 2015.
- Earned an associate degree or bachelor's degree from an accredited college
or university with at least 9 academic hours of property and casualty insurance
curriculum, or the equivalent (an official transcript is required). [Exempt from
- Become a resident of Florida, held a valid resident license with the equivalent
line of authority for at least one (1) continuous year prior to applying for a license in Florida, and submit the application for the Florida customer representative license within 90 days of becoming a resident of Florida. [Transfer
of License]. [Exempt from State Examination]
- Successfully completed 100 hour classroom course in all lines of insurance
except life and annuities. Must be completed within two years of application
date. [Click here to search for a course] [Requires State
NOTE: This course is no longer offered as of
July 1, 2015 but will continue to be accepted 4 years from the completion
Step 3 - Apply:
Step 4 - Send prerequisite(s) to department:
- Send proof of prerequisite, as indicated in Step 2, to the Bureau.
Note: If you have taken a prelicensing course, your
prelicensing education provider will automatically send the Bureau proof within
20 days of your passing date. This does not include designations.
Department of Financial
Bureau of Licensing, Room 419
200 East Gaines
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0319
Step 5 - Fingerprints:
Step 6 - Status notification(s):
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check your MyProfile account for the status of your application. Deficiencies will be listed under
the pending license type.
Step 7 - Examination:
Disregard this step if you are not required to take
- Upon approval, an e-mail will be sent to you directing you to check your
messages in your MyProfile account. Messages are where you may print your
notifications from the department, such as an authorization for an examination.
Follow the message's instructions to schedule the examination.
[Click here for the Exam Information page]
Step 8 - Print license:
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your
approval by email. You may then go to your MyProfile account and print your license.
Note: If you are required to take an
examination, you will not be able to print your license until the department has
received a passing result from the testing vendor.
- Can not be employed by more than one general lines agent or agency at any
given time and must be housed in the office of the agent or agency.
- May not obtain the license to write or handle controlled business per
Florida Statute 626.730.
- Can not engage in transacting insurance outside of the office of his/her
agent or agency.
- Can receive commission. Compensation cannot be primarily based on commissions. Commissions and other insurance related payments should be no more than half of their total pay during any given year. F.S. 626.7354(3)
The Customer Representative license can not be held with the following
- 0-55 SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
- 0-60 MANAGING GENERAL AGENT
- 0-93 LIFE (FOREIGN/MILITARY)
- 1-20 SURPLUS LINES
- 2-20-GENERAL LINES
- 2-21 MOTOR VEHICLE AND MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN
- 2-22 CREDIT PROPERTY
- 2-23 RESIDENT MOTOR VEHICLE RENTAL
- 2-30 MORTGAGE GUARANTY
- 2-33 INDUSTRIAL FIRE OR BURGLARY
- 4-42 LIMITED CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
- T1-20 SURPLUS LINES
- T2-20-GENERAL LINES
- T2-33 INDUSTRIAL FIRE OR BURGLARY