A Message from State Fire Marshal Jeff Atwater:
Since the weather has gotten colder, my Division of State Fire Marshal has investigated a number of fires in which Floridians have died, fires that sadly were determined to have been started accidentally. These deaths were preventable. I urge you not to take the safety of your surroundings for granted. Take time to make sure that your family is protected by implementing these fire safety measures:
Heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fires during the winter months. Roughly two-thirds of home fire deaths happen in homes with no smoke alarms or smoke alarms that were either broken or had dead batteries. I am saddened by these deaths and my prayers go out to the families who have lost a loved one. To find out more about the Division of State Fire Marshal and fire prevention practices, visit http://MyFloridaCFO.com/Division/SFM/.