jump to main menu jump to subject menu jump to content jump to footer
go image

Division Director

Sha'Ron James

Assistant Director

Al Willis

Division of Rehabilitation and Liquidation
Alexander Bldg.,
2020 Capital Circle SE, Ste. 310
Tallahassee, FL 32301
design placeholder only

Oklahoma Claimant Information
AequiCap Insurance Company

If I am an Oklahoma policyholder, who do I contact on my claim?

With the finding of insolvency and order of liquidation on AequiCap, the Oklahoma Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association is obligated to pay "covered claims" [as defined in the Oklahoma statute] based on "an amount not exceeding One Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($150,000) per claimant…" or underlying policy coverage limits – whichever is less. In no event will the Association be obligated to pay a claim in excess of the obligation of the insolvent insurer under the policy or coverage from which the claim arises or in excess of the limits of the obligation of the Association existing on the date of liquidation.

If you are an Oklahoma policyholder, you will need to call:

Oklahoma Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association
2601 Northwest Expressway, Suite 330E
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73112
Phone: #405-843-5454
Fax: #405-843-5369

If I am an Oklahoma policyholder, who do I contact about my premium refund on my cancelled AequiCap policy?

The Oklahoma Property and Casualty Insurance Guaranty Association will pay unearned premium claims, up to a maximum of $10,000 per policy, after the Florida Receiver completes its processing of the policy records and sends the unearned premium records to the Oklahoma guaranty association.

If I have an agent claim for commissions or general creditor claim for goods or services provided to AequiCap, what should I do now?

Agents' earned commission claims and other general creditor claims are not covered by guaranty associations but may be filed as claims in the receivership estate. There may not be sufficient assets to pay this priority of claims; however, you must file a proof of claim form to have your claims considered.

The Florida Receiver has not yet begun the proof of claim filing process. Once the proof of claim process begins, information will be posted to this website on how you can obtain a proof of claim form.