TYPE AND CLASS:
20-44 Personal Lines
Common Use(s) of License:
A general lines agent who is limited
to transacting business related to property and casualty insurance sold to
individuals and families for noncommercial purposes.
Related Florida Statutes:
Continuing Education (CE) Requirement:
24 hours due bi-annually by end of licensee's birth month. When the CE
requirement has been generated, the requirement can be viewed in licensee's MyProfile account. Section 626.2815, Florida Statutes.
Note: Additional information can be found on our Continuing Education
Appointment of License:
This license requires an appointment to be valid. Section 626.112(4), Florida Statutes.
Expiration of License:
This license will expire if unappointed for 48 months. Section 626.431(3), Florida Statutes.
STEPS TO OBTAIN RESIDENT 20-44 PERSONAL LINES LICENSE:
Step 1 - You must be:
- A natural person at least 18 years of age.
- A resident of the state of Florida.
- A United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a work authorization
from the United States Immigration and Naturalization Services. [Click
here for more information]
Step 2 - Must have the following prerequisite(s) before applying:
- Successfully completed an insurance course of a minimum of 60 hours approved by the Department covering property, casualty, and inland marine insurance. [Click here
to find a course] [Requires State Examination]
NOTE: This course is replacing the 52 hour course.
F.A.C. rule 69B-227.260, Study
Manuals are required for all attendees of a pre-licensing course.
- Successfully completed an insurance course of a minimum of 52 hours approved by the Department covering property and casualty insurance sold to
individuals and families for noncommercial purposes. [Click here
to find a course] [Requires State Examination]
NOTE: This course is being replaced by the 60 hour
course. This course will be accepted while providers are transitioning to the new
- Completed at least six months within the last four (4) years of responsible insurance duties as a
licensed and appointed Customer Representative (4-40), Limited Customer Representative (4-42), or Service Representative (0-55) in property and casualty insurance sold to individuals and families for noncommercial purposes.[Requires State Examination]
- Earned a degree which includes at least 9 semester hours of college credit in property and casualty insurance from an accredited college or university [an
official transcript required]. [Exempt from State Examination]
- Become a resident of Florida, held a valid resident license with the equivalent
line of authority for at least one (1) continuous year prior to applying for a license in Florida, and submit the application for the Florida property and casualty license within 90 days of becoming a resident of Florida. [Transfer
of License]. [Exempt from State Examination]
- Have an original letter from the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters certifying you hold the Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters (CPCU)
designation. [Exempt from State Examination]
Step 3 - Apply:
Step 4 - Send prerequisite(s) to department:
- Send proof of prerequisite, as indicated in Step 2, to the Bureau.
Note: If you have taken a prelicensing course, your
prelicensing education provider will automatically send the Bureau proof within
20 days of your passing date. This does not include designations.
Department of Financial
Bureau of Licensing, Room 419
200 East Gaines
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0319
Step 5 - Fingerprints:
Step 6 - Status notification(s):
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check your MyProfile account for the status of your application. Deficiencies will be listed under
the pending license type.
Step 7 - Examination:
Disregard this step if you are not required to take
- Upon approval, an e-mail will be sent to you directing you to check your
messages in your MyProfile account. Messages are where you may print your
notifications from the department, such as an authorization for an examination.
Follow the message's instructions to schedule the examination.
[Click here for the Exam Information page]
Step 8 - Print license:
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your
approval by email. You may then go to your MyProfile account and print your license.
Note: If you are required to take an
examination, you will not be able to print your license until the department has
received a passing result from the testing vendor.
This license can not be held with the following licenses:
- 0-55 SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE
- 0-60 MANAGING GENERAL AGENT
- 0-93 LIFE LICENSE FOR U.S. FOREIGN/MILITARY
- 2-21 MOTOR VEH PD & MECH BREAKDOWN
- 2-29 CREDIT
- 2-33 INDUSTRIAL FIRE OR BURGLARY
- 4-42 LIMITED CUST REPRESENTATIVE
- T02-20 GENERAL LINES (PROP & CAS)
T02-33 INDUSTRIAL FIRE OR BURGLARY