CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER MEMORANDUM NO. 02 (2004-05)
SUBJECT: STATE PURCHASING CARD PROGRAM
RECLASSIFICATION OF MERCHANT CATEGORY CODE (MCC)
MCC 5541 – SERVICE STATIONS
Effective July 1, 2004, the Department of Management Services Rental Vehicle Contract 518-020-0501 no longer allows AVIS to reimburse state employees directly for fuel purchases. To provide agencies with another option, the Department of Financial Services (DFS) has reclassified MCC 5541 - Service Stations - from a statewide restricted MCC to a statewide allowed MCC. This reclassification will allow agencies the opportunity to use the state Purchasing Card (PCard) for fuel purchases associated with the AVIS Rental Vehicle Contract. The PCard should not be used to purchase fuel for state or personal vehicles.
Each agency will be responsible for monitoring the use of MCC 5541 and for implementing procedures to ensure specific criteria are met. Each agency's PCard plan will need to be amended to include the following:
1) Requirement for each agency to perform a complete travel reconciliation function, for every cardholder fuel purchase, comparing the Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form and supporting documentation to the Pcard Module and reports.
2) Requirement for itemized fuel receipts, regardless of the purchase amount. Receipts must show the name and address of vendor, date and time of purchase, price per gallon, quantity of fuel purchased and total cost.
3) Requirement for an itemized AVIS receipt, which contains sufficient detail for a post audit.
4) Requirement for completion of a Voucher for Reimbursement of Travel Expenses form, regardless if reimbursement is due or not due to the state employee.
5) Procedures to ensure the PCard will only be used to purchase AVIS rental vehicle fuel while on official state business.
6) Procedures to ensure the PCard will not be used to purchase fuel for state or personal vehicles even if on official state business.
7) Procedures to ensure reimbursements are not claimed by the state employee in addition to payment of a PCard transaction.
8) Procedures for handling abuse.
An agency must submit their amended plan to DFS for review and approval prior to implementing the use of MCC 5541. After DFS approval is received, each agency's PCard Administrator must modify the agency's Merchant Category Code Group in the Purchasing Card Module with appropriate notification of the change to Bank of America.
Please contact Crystal Read at (850) 410-9308, Suncom 210-9308 or email@example.com if you have questions.