May 13, 1999
COMPTROLLER'S MEMORANDUM NO. 03 (1998-99)
SUBJECT: Requests For Duplicate Warrants - Asset Recovery Companies
We recently received an inquiry about our position on requests for duplicate warrants generated as a result of an agreement between a vendor and an asset recovery company. This resulted in a review of our procedures for processing duplicate warrants. Please note the following:
- We do not deal directly with asset recovery companies. All inquiries from these companies are directed to the state agency involved in generating the original warrant.
- We will produce a duplicate warrant in the name of the original payee upon receipt of a properly completed original Affidavit For Duplicate Warrant (Form DBF-AA-408) submitted by the state agency that generated the original warrant. No other documentation is required.
- Chapter 3A-40.100, Florida Administrative Code (FAC), does allow an agency to deliver a state warrant to an assignee provided written authorization from the payee exists prior to the distribution of the warrant.
- It will be the agencies' responsibility to determine if an agreement between an asset recovery company and a payee of a state warrant constitutes an "assignment" pursuant to Chapter 3A-40.100, FAC.
- Upon receipt of an agreement from an asset recovery company involving a state warrant, we recommend that you contact the original payee in writing and provide a copy of the assignment agreement. The original payee should confirm in writing that the person signing the agreement is authorized to act on behalf of the payee.
- Form DBF-AA-408, Affidavit For Duplicate Warrant, provides that either the payee or responsible State agency representative fill out the form.
- Form DBF-AA-408 is available via the Comptroller's web page at (http://www.dbf.state.fl.us/). Select Accounting & Auditing, and then look for on-line forms under the Bureau of Accounting.
- Instructions on how to complete Form DBF-AA-408 will be added to the Comptroller's web page in the near future. Hard copy forms are available by faxing a request to the Reconciliation Section, Bureau of Accounting, at (850) 410-9386 or SunCom 210-9386.
- Effective as of the date of this memo, we will not accept a duplicate warrant request that is not on the Comptroller's Form DBF-AA-408. If an agency wishes to design their own form, it must contain 100% of the data required on the Comptroller's form. Any forms that have been previously approved for use by an agency must be resubmitted for approval.
- Effective immediately, the Reconciliation Section will return the actual duplicate warrants through the Comptroller's Transmittal Section where they must be picked up by an authorized agency courier. Staff will include the duplicate warrant, a copy of the Affidavit For Duplicate Warrant, and a copy of the duplicate warrant. The courier must sign and date the copy of the duplicate warrant and leave this with the Transmittal Section. The courier would then take the duplicate warrant and a copy of the Affidavit For Duplicate Warrant back to his/her agency for distribution to the person indicated at the bottom left of the form.
If you have any questions about these procedures, please contact Mike Manderfield at 410-9402 or SC 210-9402.