Division of Agent and Agency Services
NON-RESIDENT surplus lines LICENSE
TYPE AND CLASS:
91-20 Surplus Lines
Common Use(s) of License:
To handle placement of insurance coverages with unauthorized
insurers and to place such coverages with authorized insurers as to which
the licensee is not licensed as an agent.
Related Florida Statutes:
626.914 & 626.9272
STEPS TO OBTAIN NON-RESIDENT 91-20 SURPLUS
Step 1 - You must be:
- A natural person at least 18 years of age.
- A non-resident of the state of Florida.
- A United States citizen or legal alien who possesses a
work authorization from the United States Immigration and
[Click here for more information]
Step 2 - License Required:
- Be licensed and appointed as a Florida non-resident general
lines insurance agent (Type & Class 9-20)
- Be licensed and appointed as a Florida
managing general agent (Type & Class 00-60)
- Be licensed and appointed as a Florida
service representative (Type & Class 00-55)
- Hold a license as a resident surplus lines agent license in the state of residence.
Step 3 - Must have the following prerequisite(s) before
Step 4 - Apply:
Step 5 - Prerequisite:
- Proof of your prerequisite, as indicated in Step 2, is verified through
the National Association Insurance Commissioners (NAIC).
In the event that your license can not be verified, the Bureau may request a Letter of Certification from your home state to verify you are licensed.
The Letter of Certification can be obtained from your home state and it must be dated no earlier than 30 days of your date of application.
Department of Financial Services
Bureau of Licensing, Room 419
200 East Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0319
Step 6 - Fingerprints:
- You must submit fingerprints to the Bureau. Instructions for fingerprinting can be found by
Step 7 - Status notification(s):
- Once an application has been submitted, you may check
for the status of your application. Deficiencies
will be listed under the pending license type.
Step 8 - Examination:
Disregard this step if you are not required to take an exam.
Upon approval, an e-mail will be sent to you directing you to check your messages in your
account. Messages are where you may print your
notifications from the department, such as an
authorization for an examination. Follow the message's instructions to schedule the examination.
[Click here for the Exam Information page]
Step 9 - Print license:
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the
department will send your approval by email. You may
then go to your MyProfile account
and print your license.
Note: If you are required to take an examination, you will not be able to print your license until the department has
received a passing result from the testing vendor.
Surplus lines agents must appoint themselves after
To do this:
- Log in to your
- Select the "Access eAppoint" link on the right.
- If you have never used eAppoint, you must first register and will need to select "Register to become an appointing entity".
- Once you have completed step #2 or #3 above, you will be able to select "New
Appointment" in the eAppoint Workbench. Once "New Appointment" has been
selected, follow the on screen instructions and pay the $150 appointment fee to
complete your self-appointment. Note: This appointment will need to be renewed
during your birth month 2 years after the initial appointment effective date,
and every 48 months after, to maintain this license.
Any individual, licensed as a surplus lines agent under §626.927 and §626.9272, Florida Statutes, shall be deemed a member of the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office (FSLSO), a not-for-profit, self-regulating association. Upon receiving your Florida Surplus Lines License, you will need to complete a New Agent Membership form by visiting:
https://slip.fslso.com and selecting "Register".
ALL NONRESIDENT SURPLUS LINES APPLICANTS MUST TAKE THE FLORIDA EXAM.
Throughout the existence of the Florida non-resident license, maintain the existence of the required home state licenses.
This license can not be held with the following licenses:
- 0-93 LIFE (FOREIGNMILITARY)
- 9-21 NON-RESIDENT MVPD & MECH BREAKDOWN
- 9-30 NON-RESIDENT MORTGAGE GUARANTY
- 9-32 COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT
- 9-33 NON-RESIDENT INDUST FIRE OR BURGLARY
- 9-40 NON-RESIDENT CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE
- T9-40 NON-RESIDENT CUSTOMER REPRESENTATIVE
- T91-20 NON-RESIDENT SURPLUS LINES